Cambium is creating never-seen-before, sustainable, ultra-high-performance biomaterials to address some of the most pressing challenges of the 21st century. We are disrupting traditional advanced materials research and development for fields such as aerospace, defense, healthcare, mobility, recreation and renewable energy. We achieve this through a Deep Tech approach, fusing biotechnology, green chemistry, computation, automated materials science, and an array of other scientific and engineering disciplines.
As part of that process, integrating and automating unique laboratory processes will be key to our growth and success. We are seeking an accomplished individual to pioneer and build our laboratory automation platform. We are seeking an adaptable, detail-oriented individual with experience in laboratory automation systems development with a desire to learn and grow as the pioneer of Cambium’s laboratory team and excited by the prospect of working in a highly adaptable, growth-minded start-up.
We are a venture-backed company just exiting stealth mode with a culture mindfully built to be an incubator for bold and contrarian thinking, and a safe harbor for diversity and individuality. If you are excited by what you read, this position may be for you.
- Develop and refine the Cambium laboratory system for materials discovery and laboratory-scale production
- Integrate the system with Cambium’s data and computational tools
- Quantify, validate, and demonstrate the delivery of system benefits
- Learn from system development and iterate for continuous improvement, while ensuring that the system scales well
- Communicate key performance capabilities, operational metrics, improvements, and lessons learned to senior leadership, investors, and collaborators
- Collaborate across multiple teams including world-class experts in computational and experimental materials science, manufacturing, and product development
- Build and lead Cambium’s laboratory science and engineering team
- US citizenship or permanent residency required
- 4+ years of experience in laboratory process or workflow development
- At least 1-2 years of experience in designing automated systems for chemistry or materials science applications
- M. S. / Ph. D. in chemistry, chemical engineering industrial engineering, or a materials science and engineering field
- Experience in leading project teams and managing efforts that cross traditional disciplinary boundaries
- Experience collaborating with both computational and experimental experts in materials science and engineering
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Experience working with automated chemical laboratory equipment
- Experience in characterizing the physical properties of high-performance materials
- Experience in utilizing and integrating laboratory information management systems
- Experience in working with U.S. government and defense organizations
- Willingness to grow into a key organizational leader
- Track record of developing valuable intellectual property